A Chronicle of Procrastination

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Shell borders.....arg!

Cake decorating at Michael's continues to offer everything that was promised to us. It's really quite delightful. So delightful, in fact, that we were afraid we may get into a fist fight with others girls that were competing for eight coveted spots in Course 2. We made it.

Tonight we learned the shell border. This is the most challenging thing we have done this far. I'm still going to need some practice. Here's Laura at work. The instructor really liked her shell border :o) That's my practice below. It's ok. I need to figure out something else to make a cake for so I can practice. I'll take requests.
That's Laura putting her bang-up shell border on her cake. And it's purple!!!
Laura's cake, shell border and LOTS of drop swirl flowers--my new favorite simple decor for cakes!
My cake. I have a white shell border along the bottom, and some drop flowers. I was really surprised at how easy these flowers are to do.
There will be much more cake decorating to come, now that Laura and I are both enrolled in Course 2. We still have one more week of Course 1--we learn how to do the rose! In Course 2, we learn lots of other flowers in royal icing AND how to do basket weave!
I'll break up these monotonous reports of cake decorating soon! This weekend I will cast on for a sock knit-a-long with some girls that are scattered about! Should be fun!




1 comment:

  1. Dang you BigR. You reminded me of how much fun the decorating was- I'm thinking of signing up for the fondant and gumpaste class! It's all your fault!

    ReplyDelete