A Chronicle of Procrastination

Monday, June 15, 2009

The Return of Cake Class

Tonight, Laura D. and I are officially halfway through Wilton Course 3 at Michaels. Last week we learned some additional buttercream techniques like lacy fill-ins and the ruffle border (not really a fan).

Tonight, we entered the world of fondant. I love it. Love it, love it, love it. I'm so impressed with the finished look the cake gets. Maybe if I were better at icing with buttercream, I would feel differently, but, fondant is awesome! I was feeling a little cheap this week, so instead of buying the premade fondant at Michaels, I used a recipe for homemade marshamllow fondant.
Here is the square cake, freshly covered with fondant:
The beginnings of the bow....

Finished product!!! (My bow wasn't finished, so there is paper towel in it to help it keep it's shape.) The rest of the cake is decorated with cut-out fondant dots and flowers.
Here is Laura's cake....she made a really pretty Carolina blue cake with dots and a white bow. Pretty!!!

2 comments:

  1. See- isn't fondant wonderful! And the marshmallow stuff is great- and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! When do I get to eat one of these cakes. Both you and Laura are making them and I have yet to eat any :(

    ReplyDelete