A Chronicle of Procrastination

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Candles, Sour Cream Containers, and Sweaters.....Oh my!

Well, my accomplice in crafting (Laura) and I had a lovely afternoon of hungover crafting a few weeks ago. I am very impressed that we started out with just materials, and came away with a very cute variety of favors.


Exhibit A: Sour cream container. We got this idea from our Stampin' Up Demonstrator Paula. We had originally done this with vellum card stock with heat embossed red hearts for Valentine's Day (filled with Hershey's Kisses, of course). After searching around on Splitcoaststampers, we saw that people were doing this with transparencies. Laura used Versamark ink to stamp the image (which, by the way, is the best baby stamp ever) and opaque white embossing powder. This was kind of tricky, as we quickly realized that if the heat tool got too hot, it would melt the transparency. We used sticky strip adhesive (the stuff that comes on the orange roll) to adhere the edges. Laura then filled with impending baby boy-appropriate blue and white Jelly Bellies. You just can't even order stuff this cute. Way to go Laura!Exhibit B: I also made some sour cream containers from some light blue patterned scrapbook paper that I had around. I would suggest using card stock, because they will be a little sturdier. I made these just a smidge bigger, and used the paper crimper to give the edges that authentic "can I get chives and sour cream with my baked potato?" look. They're not as cool as the ones that Laura made, but they do have chocolate inside, so they can't be all bad.Exhibit C: All of this sour cream container making was actually in addition to our original favor idea, which was hand-poured jar candles. A couple years back, while savaging through the rummage of a closed, run-down, out of NIH funding lab, Laura found this box of jars that we thought would be potential snow globe vessels. Unfortunately, the lids that came with them didn't actually fit the jars. We then decided that they would be adorable for little jar candles, and when our friend Jessica announced that she had a bun in oven.....GAME ON!


All of the favors together, in situ.


I have been spending a lot of time on my 25-minute each way bus ride knitting with my new favorite yarn -- Sugar and Creme 100% cotton worsted weight. Right now, I'm trying to make it through Pillars of the Earth, but for the past few weeks I have been hard at work on these, taken from Mason-Dixon Knitting.



As soon as I finish Pillars...it's back to quality TTA knitting time. I need to get a couple more of these busted out before April!

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca,
    Everything looks great!!! Your stuff is so cute. I love making the sour cream contains too, so easy!!!
    Congratulations on finishing up your dissertation! You must be so excited to have that done.
    I have a blog too, but my stuff isn't as good as yours. I haven't shared mine with anyone, just for me to write stuff in!
    Take care,
    Love
    Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete