A Chronicle of Procrastination

Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Eggs....

So....I didn't really do much "work" this weekend, but I was able to cross off a couple things from my "Easter crafts I would really like to try but don't have the time list." It was sooooooo awesome. I lost track of how many eggs I bought.

Below are pictures of egg craft #1. I saw this idea in Martha Stewart Living (April 2006). You use a Dremel tool to make ~1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the egg, blow the egg out, and sterilize. (My husband did all the drilling....thanks honey!)


After the sterilizing, you dye the eggs with food coloring, and let them dry for two days... That's why this project is so intense, you need a lot of advance planning, which generally is not my forte.
After the eggs are completely dry inside, you fill them completely with chocolate, or make them into chocolate truffles, which is what we did. The finished products are shown below, on display.
Here's a link for the actual instructions (Chocolate Egg How-To)
We had to take a break from all the eggs to see UNC dominate Mount Saint Mary's in the first round of NCAAs at the RBC Center in Raleigh....



Next up was my husband's favorite-ever egg project, straight from the creative archives of Martha Stewart. A couple years ago, she had this lady on who uses cut up silk neck ties for dying Easter eggs. We raided my husband's closet for ties that he never wears any more and got to work. Here is a picture of the first batch twist tied up with silk touching the egg and covered with a square of old white tee-shirt. You just boil them for 20-25 minutes.......

.....and you get this! You have to try it... Here's the link: Silk Tie Easter Eggs

I'd like to take a moment to point out other fine examples of Easter baking and crafting.

Example 1: Chocolate cake with chocolate rolled fondant.... The finale to a 21 course Easter dinner at the home of our friends Ben and Jason.

Example 2: Eggstra special handmade card from Laura D.

Another one of these baby sweaters that I'm trying to finish up. I've pledged to only knit at home while I am watching reality television.

My evening activity... New purchase from Barnes and Noble.

1 comment:

  1. I love those silk eggs- I thought we were fancy with foiling the eggs this year! I'm impressed...

    ReplyDelete